Happy Earth Day! When it comes to going green, the smallest steps can make a huge difference. Here are 52 small things you can do to help the planet.
1. Don’t heat an empty house! During the winter, turn down your thermostat to 68 degrees F when you’re home and 55 degrees F at night and while you’re away. Upgrade to a programmable thermostat if you can.
2. Your computer may go to sleep, but it’s still sucking up energy. Turn your computer and monitor off at the end of the day. In addition, take steps to create an eco-friendly workplace.
3. Clean your refrigerator coils — vacuum out the dust and wipe with a damp cloth. You’ll be surprised at how much nasty stuff accumulates down there!
4. Look into carpooling. Need convincing? Read why your green commute will save you money.
5. Taking a road trip? Rent a hybrid car. Here are a few more eco-friendly travel tips.
6. Start a compost pile in your backyard. Here is your guide to compost gardening. Did you know you can even add your fireplace ashes to your compost pile?
7. Support green businesses.
8. Cancel your newspaper subscription and read the news online instead. (We’ll bet you’re already doing this one!)
9. Buy rechargeable batteries. Learn to dispose of old batteries properly.
10. Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins at dinner.
11. Recycle — all the cool kids are doing it these days! Not sure what is recyclable? Check out this recycle chart.
12. Buy your dog a hemp or canvas leash instead of nylon.
13. Stop using your toxin-loaded dryer sheets and try these alternatives instead.
14. Share your magazines — read them then pass them on. Goodwill, the Kidney Foundation and other used goods collection agencies will usually accept them. You can also pass them along to a doctor’s office for the waiting room.
15. Take a break from screen time and take a hike. Take advantage of this eco-friendly fitness gear.
16. File your taxes electronically to cut back on paper usage. Look into having your tax forms emailed to you instead of mailed as well.
17. Donate old newspapers to animal shelters and take your plastic shopping bags back to participating grocery stores. Better yet, purchase cloth or canvas grocery bags and skip that part altogether.
18. Shop for eco-friendly beauty products. Also consider eco-friendly fashion lines and eco-friendly home decor.
19. Take your own mug to the coffee shop — some shops will even give you a discount for bringing your own cup. Find out if your coffee is triple certified.
20. Get e-tickets for the movies through apps like Fandango or get e-tickets and boarding passes when traveling. (For more vacation tips, read How to take an eco-friendly vacation.)
21. Buy a new houseplant. For a greener home, read 10 Eco-friendly ways to green your home and family.
22. Schedule your errands back-to-back to consolidate your trip and save gas or ride your bike or walk when possible.
23. Repair your leaky faucet (especially if you live in a drought-prone area), install water-saving toilets and shower heads, and only run the clothes washer or dishwasher with full loads.
24. Pack your lunch in an insulated lunch bag instead of paper or plastic bags. While you’re at it, choose organic food when you can — it’s more affordable than you think.
25. Put a cover on your pool when you’re not using it. Not only will it keep the water cleaner, but it will keep it from evaporating, saving you refills.
26. Ask your power company about purchasing green power like solar, geothermal, biomass and wind turbine.
Check Into Cash specializes in small-loan lending with Payday, Installment, Title Loans, and more, depending on your state.
It’s Quick, Easy & Confidential® to get the cash you need today. We reach over 25 states with more than 650 store locations and easy online lending, too.
💪🏽 You are courageous. And there's nothing more brave than asking for help.Remember, EVERYONE needs a lift from time to time. Find helpful funds today at mycic.us/april-store-locator ... See MoreSee Less
🌎 If you haven't entered our greenest giveaway today, what are you waiting for? Enter daily for a better shot at winning one of three $500 cash prizes, and do something to help the planet. This giveaway lasts until Earth Day, April 22, 2021. Enter every day until then at mycic.us/earth-giveaway Restrictions apply - see rules for details. ... See MoreSee Less
🌎 This Earth Day, we're giving back to THREE lucky winners so they can give back to the planet. Enter our Earth Day Every Day Giveaway for a shot at winning one of three $500 cash prizes, and then you can do something to give back. This giveaway lasts until Earth Day, April 22, 2021. Enter daily at mycic.us/earth-giveawayRestrictions apply - see rules for details. ... See MoreSee Less
The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal or financial advice. Rather, all information, content, and materials available on this site are only meant for general informational purposes. Information on this website may not include the most up-to-date legal, financial or other information. This website contains links to other third-party websites. Such links are only for the convenience of the reader, user or browser. We do not recommend or endorse the contents of the third-party sites nor are the owners of such third-party sites recommending or endorsing our services. Check Into Cash is not affiliated with nor endorsed by any of the websites, companies or entities mentioned in this blog. See a licensed attorney for legal advice and see a certified public accountant or financial planner for financial advice. No reader, user, or browser of this site should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without first seeking professional advice. All liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site are hereby expressly disclaimed. The content on this posting is provided “as is,” and no representations are made that the content is error-free.