10 Tips To Celebrate Earth Month
April is Earth Month! It can be tough to find time to celebrate outside, but there are ways to get involved no matter where you are. Here are 10 ways to celebrate Earth Month!
There are times when the problems that plague our planet and its environment seem incredibly overwhelming. Where do we begin? What can be done? It’s all about the little changes that can make a huge difference in the fight for our future. This Earth Month, it’s time to get the word out and fight against one of the biggest problems our world faces: “environmental apathy.”
There are still too many people in the world who do not realize the urgency of issues such as energy and water supply, biodiversity, habitat and environment damage. Without this knowledge or sense of urgency, there is no motivation to change anything. What better time to do something about this “environmental apathy” and inspire a change than Earth Month? The strategy from Earth Month Network to overcome this apathy is a simple, but a good one, and definitely worth sharing: provide the very much needed “Awareness, Knowledge, Education, Stewardship and Activism towards global environmental issues.”
Let’s celebrate Earth Month and learn more about the little things we can all do in our own homes that, collectively, can make a huge difference. Here are ten easy tips…
- Calculate your carbon footprint for both your home and your business!
- Save energy and money on your heating bill by calculating your average water consumption.
- It’s not as chilly as it used to be even a month ago! When you find yourself feeling cold, grab a sweater and make some tea instead of turning up the heat! In fact, try lowering your furnace a few degrees at night and get cozy under the comforters!
- Whenever you leave your home, turn off the computers and unplug them.
- Turn off the lights, TV’s and any other appliances when you aren’t using them.
- When doing the laundry, switch to cold water. Did you know that almost 90% of the energy used in the washing cycle goes to heating up the water?!
- If you are thinking of replacing an old laundry machine, go for a front loading, high efficiency machine. These can save on water and use up to 50% less energy than the regular washing machines.
- Folding may not be a chore people rush to do but try and fold your laundry while it is still warm from the dryer. This will help you avoid wrinkles without using up electricity from an iron.
- Switch to low energy light bulbs and install dimmer switches to control the intensity of the bulb and how much energy you use.
- If you live in a hotter climate, try planting a tree or shrub that shades your central air conditioner. This will help improve its efficiency by up to 10%!
These ten tips may seem very small but if we all tried even one or two of them, we’d would save incredible amounts of energy! There is something to be said of strength in numbers. One person can do a lot, but many people together will be able to do even more. Let’s make every month, Earth Month and show the world some love!